Take 5 with ... Will Ng from Blue Dot Thinking!
WELCOME TO WOMB'S WEEKLY "TAKE 5 WITH..." SERIES. ROUGHLY ONCE A WEEK WE WILL FEATURE A SHORT INTERVIEW WITH A HK-BASED CONSCIOUS PERSONALITY.
THIS WEEK WE PRESENT TO YOU: Will Ng from Blue Dot Thinking!
1. Tell us a bit about yourself, where are you from, where did you study, and why did you choose to be based in Hong Kong (at least for now)?
I'm Will Ng, born in HK and moved to a little town called Dorking in the UK when I was 11. After 20 years in UK I wanted a change of scenery and it was natural to move back to HK. It's my home city and I really wanted to contribute to making it greener and more sustainable.
2. What's important to you, and how do these values affect your professional choices?
Family and friends. Our ideal worlds start with ourselves and those closest and dearest to us. I've also learnt a lot about waste in HK, especially food waste - something I really want to tackle.
I hate food waste!
3. Let's address the very problem before we start discussing solutions - what are your thoughts on consumption today?
Too much, too linear, too mindless. The single-use, disposable culture really bugs me, but I also know I contribute to the problem when I shop in supermarkets - so many things are wrapped up unnecessarily!
4. What are your thoughts on pollution and waste in HK?
We throw so much to landfill! Why don't we have more options to reuse or recycle the 'waste', with landfill as the last resort?
5. What's your personal battle? How do you make your everyday life greener?
Food waste! We throw away 42kg of food waste to landfill EVERY SECOND in Hong Kong. So apart from minimising it on a personal level (possibly why I keep putting on weight), I'm also looking to work with restaurants to reduce food waste using artificial intelligence, which I hope will make a difference in the commercial F&B sector.